Florida-based armored truck giant
GardaWorld built a national empire.
Its growth came at a cost.
PART ONE: THE TRUCKS Moving millions, leaving mayhem
PART TWO: THE VAULTS Big banks entrusted money to GardaWorld. It secretly lost track of millions.
PART THREE: THE GOVERNMENT Federal agency knew Garda was “really bad” at safety. It took little action.
About the reporter
Bethany Barnes has been an investigative reporter for the Tampa Bay Times since 2019. She previously worked for the Oregonian, the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the Las Vegas Sun.
- Editor: Adam Playford
- Data analysis: Connie Humburg
- Design: Eli Zhang, Martin Frobisher, Tara McCarty, Sean Kristoff-Jones
- Photography: John Pendygraft, Lawrence Jenkins, Martha Asencio-Rhine
- Videography: Luis Santana
- Video editing: Eli Zhang
- Research: Caryn Baird
- Copy editing: Peter Couture
- Graphics: Paul Alexander
We can’t do work like this without you
Times reporter Bethany Barnes has been investigating GardaWorld for more than a year, with important contributions from data reporters, editors, copy editors, designers, visual journalists and digital producers.